Palatka to St. Augustine 45 Miles

10/29/18

Last day of riding. Finally made it to St. Augustine Fl. What a wonderful day of riding.

The route leaders fixed us a vey nice breakfast. It started out with cereal and muffins. Followed by pancakes, some with chocolate and some regular and sausage. They did a great job and we all enjoyed it.

This was a prefect day for riding. A little cool at the start but it was in the upper 50s so not bad. Our first rest stop was at the Riverdale Park and Boat Launch at mile 25. The ride to that point was easy. Since this would be our last official rest stop I took some pictures of it.

We did not push hard today since we didn’t need to be at the meet up point until 12:30 p.m. and it was 15 miles we took it easy and enjoyed our last ride together.

Then at 12:30 p.m. we started our last 5 miles as a team to get to the beach in St Augustine.

10-29-18 0310-29-18 0410-29-18 05

It is always a bitter sweet time at the final Tire Dip. Everyone knows it could be the last time you ever see these people who have become like family in the last 53 days. You have enjoyed great joy as well as pain and agony. You have shared your life experiences with them and they with you. When you have that much time on the road, you remember things you have not thought about since, in some cases, your youth. You also share your work life experiences, and over time realizing you have more than biking as a common thread.

As in everyone’s life you promise to stay in touch with each other always hoping that will be true. With some you make some commitment to ride together again, going back to the common thread.

In this case there are two that have made a commitment to ride the Northern Tier for MS next year. This is the grand daddy of the MS rides, in that it is 4295 miles long. I hope I can honor my commitment to the goal. Time will tell.

I want to thank all of you that have followed my journey. Knowing you are out there inspired me to continue to ride hard and sometimes fast. I never wanted to let any of the followers down and I hope I accomplished that.

Until next time????

9 thoughts on “Palatka to St. Augustine 45 Miles

1. Jackie October 30, 2018 / 8:26 am

Great job! I have traveled the US through your eyes and loved every minute. You never disappoint and congratulate you on having the strength & courage to accomplish this goal.

2. Charles Philipp October 30, 2018 / 8:45 am

Congratulations on making this long trip! You are committed to supporting MS in such an awesome way. We are proud of your efforts.

3. Steve October 30, 2018 / 9:42 am

Great job! Chalk one up for the old guys.

4. Ed Talley October 30, 2018 / 10:43 am

Way to go Dave. Your the man. Now get a well deserved rest.

Liked by 1 person

5. Pappy October 30, 2018 / 6:49 pm

Way to go Dave, we have over enjoyed feeling so close to your adventure

Liked by 1 person

6. Karen Manville October 30, 2018 / 7:13 pm

Congrats!

7. John & Dorothy October 30, 2018 / 8:17 pm

Praise God for a safe ride and for your dedication. Well done good & faithful servant.

8. wvbikeclub October 31, 2018 / 5:02 am

Dave…congratulations on finishing the Southern Tier. It is definitely a challenging ride…especially the first half. I really enjoyed your blog and it sparked some fond memories for me. You did a nice job of doing regular posts every few days, which can be difficult….I know from experience.

Thanks for taking a little extra effort to welcome Ron Holland. Ron and I hit it off last year and have maintained contact.You could not meet a nicer and more easy going gentleman.

Hope all the stats were of some use, even if physiologically.

Take care!

Dale Johnson
    Lancaster, PA

Liked by 1 person

9. Bae October 31, 2018 / 3:08 pm

Dave, you made it again. Congratulations!
    We give thanks to our faithful Lord and praise Him for everything during your all safe ride .